National recognition for Tarka Line
THE 39-mile long Tarka Line from Barnstaple to Exeter is well on its way to gaining national recognition. The Association of Community Rail Partnerships (ACoRP) has listed Barnstaple s Stationmaster s Cafe as one of six finalists for Best Retail Outle
THE 39-mile long Tarka Line from Barnstaple to Exeter is well on its way to gaining national recognition.
The Association of Community Rail Partnerships (ACoRP) has listed Barnstaple's Stationmaster's Cafe as one of six finalists for "Best Retail Outlet." In its 2009 awards
Proprietor Mike Day, who spent three years battling red tape before converting the former Stationmaster's residence into a restaurant, museum and meeting centre, was jubilant at the news.
"This really puts Barnstaple on the national railway map," he said, "and it's great to think that our little cafe tucked away at the end of a branch line is one of only six finalists out of the entire country. The judges clearly have a soft spot for home cooking!"
You may also want to watch:
The Tarka Rail Association's new booklet, Tarka Line Walks, has also made the final cut and is among six finalists for "Best Marketing Publication" of the year. Its author, Peter Craske of South Tawton, also appears on ACoRP's shortlist of six for "Outstanding Volunteer."
The final award winners will be announced at ACoRP's 2009 Awards Ceremony, to be held at Carlisle on September 25..
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted