National mountain bike event to be held in Bideford
NORTH Devon s South West Extreme Freeride Park has been selected to stage a blue ribbon event in the annual mountain bike calendar. The centre at Abbotsham, near Bideford, will host British Cycling s National Mountain Bike Championships on Saturday and Su
NORTH Devon's South West Extreme Freeride Park has been selected to stage a blue ribbon event in the annual mountain bike calendar.
The centre at Abbotsham, near Bideford, will host British Cycling's National Mountain Bike Championships on Saturday and Sunday August 14 and 15.
The UK's top riders including current national champion Scott Beaumont and World Cup riders Pat Campbell-Jenner, Tom Dowie, Will Evans, Duncan Ferris, Scott Roberts and current national series leader Will Longden will be among those competing in round five of the 2010 British 4X National Championship Series on Saturday and the National 4X Championship on Sunday.
The fast-paced adrenaline-fuelled downhill action will see more than 200 riders of all ages tackle obstacles such as jumps, logs, rocks and banked corners. The track also features a "pro-line" on the finial straight, with three huge 8-10metre gapped jumps.
You may also want to watch:
Spectators will be able to enjoy the action for free on both days. On Saturday night there'll be more thrills in the form of a dirt jump competition.
"The course has superb spectator viewing of the whole race," said international Cornish rider Will Evans, who helped remodel the course during the winter.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year
"There are plenty of overtaking opportunities and although all abilities will be able to ride it, there are a number of elements which will challenge the very best.
"The pro-line has some massive jumps at the bottom of the track; the riders will be travelling at 35mph and if they have the bottle to take on the 27ft double, it will make incredible spectator viewing."