National mountain bike event to be held in Bideford
NORTH Devon s South West Extreme Freeride Park has been selected to stage a blue ribbon event in the annual mountain bike calendar. The centre at Abbotsham, near Bideford, will host British Cycling s National Mountain Bike Championships on Saturday and Su
NORTH Devon's South West Extreme Freeride Park has been selected to stage a blue ribbon event in the annual mountain bike calendar.
The centre at Abbotsham, near Bideford, will host British Cycling's National Mountain Bike Championships on Saturday and Sunday August 14 and 15.
The UK's top riders including current national champion Scott Beaumont and World Cup riders Pat Campbell-Jenner, Tom Dowie, Will Evans, Duncan Ferris, Scott Roberts and current national series leader Will Longden will be among those competing in round five of the 2010 British 4X National Championship Series on Saturday and the National 4X Championship on Sunday.
The fast-paced adrenaline-fuelled downhill action will see more than 200 riders of all ages tackle obstacles such as jumps, logs, rocks and banked corners. The track also features a "pro-line" on the finial straight, with three huge 8-10metre gapped jumps.
You may also want to watch:
Spectators will be able to enjoy the action for free on both days. On Saturday night there'll be more thrills in the form of a dirt jump competition.
"The course has superb spectator viewing of the whole race," said international Cornish rider Will Evans, who helped remodel the course during the winter.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
"There are plenty of overtaking opportunities and although all abilities will be able to ride it, there are a number of elements which will challenge the very best.
"The pro-line has some massive jumps at the bottom of the track; the riders will be travelling at 35mph and if they have the bottle to take on the 27ft double, it will make incredible spectator viewing."