National award for Ilfracombe’s Wetherspoon pub
- Credit: Archant
CAMRA awards the title of new build pub of the year to The Admiral Collingwood
The Admiral Collingwood in Ilfracombe has won title of best new build pub in the whole of Britain.
The original design commissioned for JD Wetherspoon caught the eyes of CAMRA UK judges after being nominated by Chris Smyth of North Devon CAMRA (The Campaign for Real Ale).
Pub manager Martin McClusky said: “As soon as I saw the building I knew we had a winner. Both its aesthetic appeal and practical layout are a tribute to the architect’s ability and dedication.
“The large sun terrace has a stunning view and has proved a tremendous hit with our many local and visiting regulars.”
You may also want to watch:
A plaque has been presented to pub staff and their area manager Robert Gibson by Gareth McDonald from CAMRA and several members of North Devon CAMRA.
Chairman Morris Elsworth added: “Good to see that Wetherspoon take the presentation of their establishments seriously and blend them to local needs and surroundings.”
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes