National award for Hartland beer
Cheers! The Forge Brewery in Hartland has been recognised as one of the best in the country after winning a silver award in the National Beer Competition held by the Society of Independent Brewers.
The brewery’s Litehouse beer won the award in the Champion Best Bitters category after progressing through a series of regional and then national judging sessions.
It was one of only 52 beers to take away a medal – a great achievement considering that over 1,400 beers enter the initial stages of the contest.
The Forge Brewery, set up in a former forge at Ford Hill in Hartland, reached the national finals after its Litehouse brew took gold at the Tuckers Maltings Festival in Newton Abbot last year, one of the regional qualifying events.
Brewer Dave Lang said Litehouse was a nice ‘quaffable’ beer of 4.3 per cent ABV, golden in colour, with its flavour coming from a blend of four different hops, providing hints of citrus and elderflower.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We work hard to make our beers the best they can be and it’s fantastic to receive this public recognition. I’m grateful to everyone who has supported us and especially to the pubs who sell our beers and to our many loyal drinkers locally for helping us to win this award.”
Julian Grocock, chief executive of SIBA, said, “The quality of craft beers produced by SIBA brewers improves every year, so our awards go to brewers who are truly ‘the best of the best’. The Forge Brewery’s skill, passion and dedication to creating great craft beer make it a deserving winner.”
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 5 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 6 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 7 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 8 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 9 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 10 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch