National award for Hartland beer
Cheers! The Forge Brewery in Hartland has been recognised as one of the best in the country after winning a silver award in the National Beer Competition held by the Society of Independent Brewers.
The brewery’s Litehouse beer won the award in the Champion Best Bitters category after progressing through a series of regional and then national judging sessions.
It was one of only 52 beers to take away a medal – a great achievement considering that over 1,400 beers enter the initial stages of the contest.
The Forge Brewery, set up in a former forge at Ford Hill in Hartland, reached the national finals after its Litehouse brew took gold at the Tuckers Maltings Festival in Newton Abbot last year, one of the regional qualifying events.
Brewer Dave Lang said Litehouse was a nice ‘quaffable’ beer of 4.3 per cent ABV, golden in colour, with its flavour coming from a blend of four different hops, providing hints of citrus and elderflower.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We work hard to make our beers the best they can be and it’s fantastic to receive this public recognition. I’m grateful to everyone who has supported us and especially to the pubs who sell our beers and to our many loyal drinkers locally for helping us to win this award.”
Julian Grocock, chief executive of SIBA, said, “The quality of craft beers produced by SIBA brewers improves every year, so our awards go to brewers who are truly ‘the best of the best’. The Forge Brewery’s skill, passion and dedication to creating great craft beer make it a deserving winner.”
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Exhibition celebrates North Devon in 100 objects