My car's not for scrapping!
WHILE car dealerships have reported an enthusiastic response from customers to the Government s new Car Scrappage Scheme, former Devon County Council Leader Brian Greenslade is going to keep on motoring for a while longer – with a car that has almost half
WHILE car dealerships have reported an enthusiastic response from customers to the Government's new Car Scrappage Scheme, former Devon County Council Leader Brian Greenslade is going to keep on motoring for a while longer - with a car that has almost half a million miles on the clock!
His Audi A6 Quatro, bought from new in September 1994, has done 454,865 miles but still has its original engine, gearbox and bodywork.
The scrappage scheme allows owners who trade in cars more than 10 years old to qualify for discounts of up to �2,000 off a new vehicle and has generated a great deal of interest.
But Mr Greenslade is not planning to swap his M-reg motor just yet:
You may also want to watch:
"I can understand the motivation behind the scheme but in my case I am happy I still have a car with plenty of life left in it," he said.
"I am a great believer in what the Americans say: 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it,' and I think that very much applies to cars!
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
"The car is maintained at C and R Autos in Barnstaple and they do a fantastic job."
His Audi has of course seen several parts replaced, but regular servicing seems to have kept the spectre of the scrapyard at bay, despite the many miles he puts on it in his role as county councillor,
* Has your car clocked up more miles than Mr Greenslade's and is still going strong? Let us know on (01271) 341628.