My car's not for scrapping!
WHILE car dealerships have reported an enthusiastic response from customers to the Government s new Car Scrappage Scheme, former Devon County Council Leader Brian Greenslade is going to keep on motoring for a while longer – with a car that has almost half
WHILE car dealerships have reported an enthusiastic response from customers to the Government's new Car Scrappage Scheme, former Devon County Council Leader Brian Greenslade is going to keep on motoring for a while longer - with a car that has almost half a million miles on the clock!
His Audi A6 Quatro, bought from new in September 1994, has done 454,865 miles but still has its original engine, gearbox and bodywork.
The scrappage scheme allows owners who trade in cars more than 10 years old to qualify for discounts of up to �2,000 off a new vehicle and has generated a great deal of interest.
But Mr Greenslade is not planning to swap his M-reg motor just yet:
You may also want to watch:
"I can understand the motivation behind the scheme but in my case I am happy I still have a car with plenty of life left in it," he said.
"I am a great believer in what the Americans say: 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it,' and I think that very much applies to cars!
- 1 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 2 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 3 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 4 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 5 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 6 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 7 Mercy for man who took part in Bideford Quay affray
- 8 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 9 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 10 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
"The car is maintained at C and R Autos in Barnstaple and they do a fantastic job."
His Audi has of course seen several parts replaced, but regular servicing seems to have kept the spectre of the scrapyard at bay, despite the many miles he puts on it in his role as county councillor,
* Has your car clocked up more miles than Mr Greenslade's and is still going strong? Let us know on (01271) 341628.