Music all the way at village festival
AN exciting mix of events are in prospect at the sixth annual West Buckland Festival, which runs from September 9-12 inclusive. Music is again a mainstay and this year the festival committee has been successful in bringing international stage performer an
AN exciting mix of events are in prospect at the sixth annual West Buckland Festival, which runs from September 9-12 inclusive.
Music is again a mainstay and this year the festival committee has been successful in bringing international stage performer and outstanding musician Harry the Piano to be the festival's director of music and to perform.
Most of the important events are centred on St Peter's Parish Church, coinciding with its harvest festival time.
Three evening shows, all with international stars, will take place there on successive nights.
You may also want to watch:
A classical recital on September 10 will feature premier concert pianist Veronika Shoot and leading North Devon harpist Susan Sherratt.
A cabaret entertainment of songs and comedy on September 11 will include Harry the Piano; show singer Sarah Kane; Chris the mind reader; Elfic the Jester; The Sweenies barbershop quartet; and West Buckland Jazz.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
Traditional New Orleans jazz takes centre stage on September 12 with Gordon Hunt and The Panama Jazz Kings.
This year's festival will also include items which money usually just cannot buy - a silent auction offering a week for four people in a cottage in the Welsh village of Dylan Thomas; a conducted tour of Castle Hill for six, led by Lady Arran; a tour for two of Appledore lifeboat station and lifeboat; a half-day with executive chef Richard Hunt at the Grand Hotel in Torquay; a black tie champagne dinner for four; and a visit to the production rooms of the Points West programme at BBC Bristol. Bidding for these items is open until 7.30pm on September 12.
There are also exhibitions by artists and crafts people, a flower and vegetable festival, coffee morning, antique valuations, exploring hedgerows, harvest festival service and the popular Sunday festival walk, starting in the village square. There will also be a ShelterBox demonstration. This charity and the parish church and village hall will benefit from the festival's fund raising.
For more details visit the website www.westbucklandfestival.co.uk