MP welcomes commitment to carers
New rules put in place to give carers a well-earned break.
NORTH Devon MP, Nick Harvey, has welcomed news that more is to be done to ensure carers are able to get a break.
Last year, Primary Care Trusts were pledged an extra �400m for to allow carers to take a well-earned break, but a recent study has found that many PCTs are not spending this money on carers.
The Coalition Government has announced new rules that mean by September of next year Devon NHS must have public plans in place to support carers.
Mr Harvey said: “Carers are some of the most unsung heroes we have, and this news means that life will be made a bit easier for them.
You may also want to watch:
“Family carers contribute billions of pounds to the economy with the amount of care and support they give, driven by nothing but a selfless desire to help those they love, reducing the need for local authorities and the NHS to step in.
“It is only right we try and reward those carers with a few days off here and there, or a short break away, to alleviate them of the day-to-day pressure that comes with caring. “That is why we have asked the NHS to work closer than ever before with local authorities, to pool their money, to agree plans and to make sure carers get the break they all deserve.”
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe