MP warns of new regional assembly plan for South West
TORRIDGE and West Devon MP Geoffrey Cox has warned that plans for s new tier of regional government complete with a regional levy on council tax are back on the agenda. He claimed that Rosie Winterton, the new Minister for Regional Economic Co-ordination
TORRIDGE and West Devon MP Geoffrey Cox has warned that plans for s new tier of regional government complete with a regional levy on council tax are back on the agenda.
He claimed that Rosie Winterton, the new Minister for Regional Economic Co-ordination, intended to champion a regional assembly for the South West first mooted by John Prescott when he was deputy prime minister.
Elected regional assemblies slipped off the political agenda when the people of the North East overwhelmingly rejected one for their region in 2004.
But Rosie Winterton, a recent keynote speech, said she had always been in favour of regional assemblies and promised that Labour would return to the idea.
You may also want to watch:
Under Labour's blueprint, regional assembles would need a new tier of regional politicians and regional elections paid for by a regional levy on council tax..
Mr Cox said: "It would appear that regional assemblies are now back from the dead under Labour. Gordon Brown won't listen to the verdict of the people who rejected a new tier of regional politicians and the regional council tax to pay for it.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 8 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
"I am glad that a new Conservative government will dismantle Labour's distant layers of regional bureaucracy and give power back to local communities.