MP warns against rogue Green Deal companies
- Credit: Archant
Geoffrey Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon, said he has been contacted by a number of people who have been falsely told they can claim money back through Government scheme.
A LOCAL MP has warned his constituents to be vigilant when approached by companies claiming to be part of the Government’s Green Deal scheme.
Geoffrey Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon, said he has been contacted by a number of people who have paid money to these companies and been falsely told they can claim the money back through the deal.
After contacting the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) Mr Cox said he has been advised the rogue companies are a national problem.
Geoffrey Cox said: “I am extremely troubled by the current trend I am seeing whereby honest and vulnerable individuals are essentially being conned into parting with their money by these companies.
You may also want to watch:
“They seem legitimate and money is being handed over in good faith as people want to make a difference to the environment.
“I am reassured that the government is doing everything possible to try and stop these rogue companies from operating, and I would urge everyone who is considering getting work done to be extremely vigilant, to shop around and to check out the credentials of the company they hope to use.”
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 4 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 10 Man dies in crash involving bicycle and car in Bideford
More information on the Green Deal can be found at www.gov.uk/green-deal. If you think you have been a victim of a rogue company contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 08454 040506.