MP visits Buckland Brewer School
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon visited Buckland Brewer School to receive a briefing on the financial picture of the school from head teacher Simon Green, and governors. The MP also presented achievement awards to the children, answered th
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon visited Buckland Brewer School to receive a briefing on the financial picture of the school from head teacher Simon Green, and governors.
The MP also presented achievement awards to the children, answered their questions and toured the school, meeting teaching and support staff.
The head teacher was keen to discuss the financial constraints put upon rural schools and to describe how they were affected as a small school.
Mr Cox said: "I very much enjoyed my visit to Buckland Brewer School. It is clear to see that they are doing very well indeed.
You may also want to watch:
"However, local schools are facing tough times with the third worst education grant in the country, and unrealistic, ever growing demands and costs. It is therefore putting a great deal of pressure on heads and governors to spread the cash even more thinly across the ground."
He continued: "I will continue to press the Government for fairer school funding, and will do whatever I can to help secure a fairer deal for education in Torridge & West Devon".
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes