MP urges caution over Barnstaple Tesco plan
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey has urged North Devon Council to take new planning guidance from the Government fully into account before arriving at a decision on Tesco s latest planning application for Seven Brethren bank in Barnstaple. The council should n
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey has urged North Devon Council to take new planning guidance from the Government fully into account before arriving at a decision on Tesco's latest planning application for Seven Brethren bank in Barnstaple.
"The council should not proceed too quickly here," said Mr Harvey.
"There are very strong feelings in the town about the application, and it is important not only that justice is done but that it is seen to be done.
"Concerns have been expressed to me that the council's financial crisis may provide an incentive to agree Tesco's application in order to get their hands on the financial dividend which would come from selling the land to Tesco.
You may also want to watch:
"The council must do the right thing in its judgement, but it must not look as if it is doing so in a hurry or by cutting corners," added the MP.
The Government's new planning guidance on economic development and town centres makes it more difficult for supermarkets to build new stores. The "Planning Policy Statement 4: Planning for Sustainable Economic Growth" policy helps protect local shops at the heart of communities.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year