MP 'unjustified' in Tesco criticism, says council leader
NORTH Devon Council s Tory Leader Des Brailey has hit back at MP Nick Harvey who last week said Barnstaple could become a ghost town if Tesco was allowed to buid at store on the Brian Ford s site at Seven Brethren. Mr Brailey said:: His comments are simpl
NORTH Devon Council's Tory Leader Des Brailey has hit back at MP Nick Harvey who last week said Barnstaple could become a ghost town if Tesco was allowed to buid at store on the Brian Ford's site at Seven Brethren.
Mr Brailey said:: His comments are simply unjustified, and therefore I feel the need to put across the facts, rather than fiction.
"The local MP claims if the new Tesco store is given the go-ahead, it might have a "devastating" impact, and that "people have seen elsewhere a ghost town effect after superstores have opened". Where exactly?
You may also want to watch:
"Our town centre in Barnstaple is generally holding up better than other areas and the uniqueness of our shops and our super Pannier Market, coupled with Butchers Row, will continue to ensure viability in the High Street.
"It's worth remembering that the previous council administration (Lib Dem, the same as Nick Harvey) agreed plans for the redevelopment of Seven Brethren, from 1999 right up to the last election in 2007.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 3 Two charged with attempted murder after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 4 Burglars hit Ilfracombe business twice in three days
- 5 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 6 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 9 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
"Even though it seemed a good idea then, perhaps the local MP's new found opposition is more about trying to win additional votes - after all, there is an election around the corner!