MP 'unjustified' in Tesco criticism, says council leader
NORTH Devon Council s Tory Leader Des Brailey has hit back at MP Nick Harvey who last week said Barnstaple could become a ghost town if Tesco was allowed to buid at store on the Brian Ford s site at Seven Brethren. Mr Brailey said:: His comments are simpl
NORTH Devon Council's Tory Leader Des Brailey has hit back at MP Nick Harvey who last week said Barnstaple could become a ghost town if Tesco was allowed to buid at store on the Brian Ford's site at Seven Brethren.
Mr Brailey said:: His comments are simply unjustified, and therefore I feel the need to put across the facts, rather than fiction.
"The local MP claims if the new Tesco store is given the go-ahead, it might have a "devastating" impact, and that "people have seen elsewhere a ghost town effect after superstores have opened". Where exactly?
You may also want to watch:
"Our town centre in Barnstaple is generally holding up better than other areas and the uniqueness of our shops and our super Pannier Market, coupled with Butchers Row, will continue to ensure viability in the High Street.
"It's worth remembering that the previous council administration (Lib Dem, the same as Nick Harvey) agreed plans for the redevelopment of Seven Brethren, from 1999 right up to the last election in 2007.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 3 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 4 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 5 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 9 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 10 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
"Even though it seemed a good idea then, perhaps the local MP's new found opposition is more about trying to win additional votes - after all, there is an election around the corner!