MP slams plan to replace community hospital matrons with one general manager
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon has urged the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust to reconsider its proposals to replace matrons at five local community hospitals, with one general manager. The MP has received many letters and emails from conc
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon has urged the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust to reconsider its proposals to replace matrons at five local community hospitals, with one general manager.
The MP has received many letters and emails from concerned constituents, including the Bideford Hospital League of Friends, who informed the MP that they had unanimously agreed that the proposed changes would have a detrimental effect on community hospitals.
Three of the five hospitals that have been put forward in the proposals lie within Geoffrey Cox's constituency, these are; Bideford, Torrington and Holsworthy.
The MP, who will be visiting the affected hospitals in his constituency before Christmas, said: "I am dismayed at this proposal. In all my contact with those who run local hospitals I am constantly reminded of the need for leadership by example on the wards.
You may also want to watch:
"This means having a matron there to drive up standards, manage staff, ensure cleanliness, and provide a first class, visible and accessible service to patients. It is just inconceivable that one general manager will be able to do this to the same standard as a matron who is there, on the ground.".
He continued: "I have written to the chief executive of the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust urging the Trust to reconsider, and I will continue to monitor the level of service to our rural communities, particularly in our community hospitals which are so highly valued by local people".
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 3 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 7 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 8 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 9 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 10 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple