MP slams plan to replace community hospital matrons with one general manager
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon has urged the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust to reconsider its proposals to replace matrons at five local community hospitals, with one general manager. The MP has received many letters and emails from conc
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon has urged the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust to reconsider its proposals to replace matrons at five local community hospitals, with one general manager.
The MP has received many letters and emails from concerned constituents, including the Bideford Hospital League of Friends, who informed the MP that they had unanimously agreed that the proposed changes would have a detrimental effect on community hospitals.
Three of the five hospitals that have been put forward in the proposals lie within Geoffrey Cox's constituency, these are; Bideford, Torrington and Holsworthy.
The MP, who will be visiting the affected hospitals in his constituency before Christmas, said: "I am dismayed at this proposal. In all my contact with those who run local hospitals I am constantly reminded of the need for leadership by example on the wards.
You may also want to watch:
"This means having a matron there to drive up standards, manage staff, ensure cleanliness, and provide a first class, visible and accessible service to patients. It is just inconceivable that one general manager will be able to do this to the same standard as a matron who is there, on the ground.".
He continued: "I have written to the chief executive of the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust urging the Trust to reconsider, and I will continue to monitor the level of service to our rural communities, particularly in our community hospitals which are so highly valued by local people".
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 4 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 5 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 6 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges