MP sees how learning can change lives
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey visited the Pathfinder Learning Centre in Barnstaple to find out how computers are helping to change the lives of local learners. He met several constituents who have been able to take a confident stride into the computer world
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey visited the Pathfinder Learning Centre in Barnstaple to find out how computers are helping to change the lives of local learners.
He met several constituents who have been able to take a confident stride into the computer world thanks to the Online basics and Myguide courses provided at the centre in Castle Street through the Government-sponsored UK Online scheme, designed to get people using the Internet for the first time.
One such is Sean Metters, one of five national winners of a brand new laptop computer thanks to a free UK Online competition in conjunction with the Online basics course.
On Monday he was presented with his prize by Mr Harvey and said it would prove a huge help in continuing his research into drug awareness, its impact on the community and better drug prevention measures.
"One day I plan to be able to present Mr Harvey with my findings," he said.
"I am so grateful to UK Online and I believe it is almost fate that this has happened."
- 1 Two vehicle crash blocks Link Road near Barnstaple
- 2 Devon's special educational needs funding ‘broken’
- 3 7 Ways to work on North Devon's beaches in 2022 - Stephanie Conway
- 4 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 5 OPINION: An introduction from Torridge council leader Ken James
- 6 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 7 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 8 Holiday firm's New Year gift for hospice
- 9 2021 was breakthrough year for Cancer and Wellbeing Fern Centre
- 10 Covid outbreaks in Devon’s care homes at highest level since pandemic began
Find out more about North Devon Pathfinder and the many courses on offer by visiting www.path-finder.org.uk or call (01271) 818072.