MP pleads for carrier contracts to be spared from cuts
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon, has written to the Prime Minister, asking him to ensure that the contracts for the construction of two Aircraft Carriers for the Royal Navy do not become part of the spending cuts. Parts of the ships are bei
GEOFFREY Cox, MP for Torridge and West Devon, has written to the Prime Minister, asking him to ensure that the contracts for the construction of two Aircraft Carriers for the Royal Navy do not become part of the spending cuts.
Parts of the ships are being built at Appledore Shipbuilders.
The carrier contracts are currently being reviewed as part of the Strategic and Defence Security Review.
The MP, who is a regular visitor to the shipyard and is in close touch with the directors of owners, Babcock Marine, recently discussed the importance of the contracts to Appledore Shipyard with the Secretary of State for Defence, Liam Fox,.
You may also want to watch:
He has also held discussions with Peter Luff MP, Minister for Defence Procurement. The review has now presented options to the new National Security Council, which is chaired by the Prime Minister.
Mr Cox said: "Appledore Shipyard is prospering under Babcock Marine who have brought the carrier contracts to the yard, and now the Irish Patrol vessel. Labour's financial recklessness has brought the country to the brink of bankruptcy and necessitated a fundamental review of our commitments.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 5 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 6 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
- 9 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
- 10 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
"I am determined to do all I can to enable both Appledore's case for the carriers, and the powerful defence arguments for their construction, to be heard in the coalition government, so that the yard can continue to thrive.