MP is right behind the SAR campaign
SIR - I notice that the Conservative Candidate for North Devon is desperately playing catch-up over plans to reduce Search and Rescue cover from Chivenor to a part time basis by implying that the MP has somehow been complicit in ignoring, or worse still,
SIR - I notice that the Conservative Candidate for North Devon is desperately playing catch-up over plans to reduce Search and Rescue cover from Chivenor to a part time basis by implying that the MP has somehow been complicit in ignoring, or worse still, hiding, the threat to public safety that this proposal poses.
Nick Harvey is widely regarded, quite rightly in my opinion, as a very conscientious constituency MP, and to suggest otherwise simply diminishes the accuser in the eyes of the local community.
Mr Harvey has been aware of this issue from the moment that the Government proposed to privatise this life saving service, and has monitored the process all the way through to the contract stage, being in personal contact with Quentin Davies, the responsible Defence Minister on a number of occasions including on the floor of the House, questioning the assumptions behind this proposal.
He is working closely with communities and individuals across North Devon in campaigning against the reduction in hours, and has recently lobbied effectively for the cancellation of a planned reduction in service hours this winter.
You may also want to watch:
Nick Harvey has made constituents aware of the issue and his personal involvement in three separate publications delivered to the vast majority of homes in North Devon in recent months. His website hosts a very popular petition which has been signed by many hundreds of people, joining the wider community based campaign sponsored by Ilfracombe Round Table and others.
Instead of railing from the sidelines perhaps the Conservative PPC for North Devon needs to recognise the honest work done already and not seek to undermine the community campaign fighting to retain this vital service.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
Peter Bradshaw, Chittlehampton