MP is right behind the SAR campaign
SIR - I notice that the Conservative Candidate for North Devon is desperately playing catch-up over plans to reduce Search and Rescue cover from Chivenor to a part time basis by implying that the MP has somehow been complicit in ignoring, or worse still,
SIR - I notice that the Conservative Candidate for North Devon is desperately playing catch-up over plans to reduce Search and Rescue cover from Chivenor to a part time basis by implying that the MP has somehow been complicit in ignoring, or worse still, hiding, the threat to public safety that this proposal poses.
Nick Harvey is widely regarded, quite rightly in my opinion, as a very conscientious constituency MP, and to suggest otherwise simply diminishes the accuser in the eyes of the local community.
Mr Harvey has been aware of this issue from the moment that the Government proposed to privatise this life saving service, and has monitored the process all the way through to the contract stage, being in personal contact with Quentin Davies, the responsible Defence Minister on a number of occasions including on the floor of the House, questioning the assumptions behind this proposal.
He is working closely with communities and individuals across North Devon in campaigning against the reduction in hours, and has recently lobbied effectively for the cancellation of a planned reduction in service hours this winter.
You may also want to watch:
Nick Harvey has made constituents aware of the issue and his personal involvement in three separate publications delivered to the vast majority of homes in North Devon in recent months. His website hosts a very popular petition which has been signed by many hundreds of people, joining the wider community based campaign sponsored by Ilfracombe Round Table and others.
Instead of railing from the sidelines perhaps the Conservative PPC for North Devon needs to recognise the honest work done already and not seek to undermine the community campaign fighting to retain this vital service.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 3 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 6 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 9 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 10 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
Peter Bradshaw, Chittlehampton