MP Harvey pushes for faster school funding reforms
- Credit: Archant
North Devon MP Nick Harvey co-signs letter to Education Secretary
North Devon MP Nick Harvey has called on the Government to bring forward school funding reforms in a joint letter with Liberal Democrat colleagues.
Devon is currently the sixth worst-funded area in the country. Under the current system, every child in North Devon receives £479.77 less from the Government than the average English school pupil.
Earlier this year, Education Secretary Michael Gove unveiled plans to alter the formula by 2015-16, but Mr Harvey has urged the Secretary of State to bring in the changes before the end of this parliament.
“These tougher economic times mean that schools in North Devon are already facing real financial challenges,” said Mr Harvey.
You may also want to watch:
“The present flawed funding system is only making things harder and the gap between the ‘haves and have nots’ has increased. We need action now to secure a fairer formula – the present situation cannot continue for the rest of this Parliament.
“The Coalition Government has already made good progress towards correcting this unfairness, but North Devon has been losing out for too long. That is why I’m calling on the Education Secretary to act now and ensure our local schools get the funding they deserve.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year