MP challenges Mod over Chivenor SAR cuts
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey has challenged the Ministry of Defence Minister over proposals to cut 24-hour Search and Rescue cover at Chivenor. Mr Harvey tabled a number of Parliamentary questions in response to Government plans to privatise the service in
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey has challenged the Ministry of Defence Minister over proposals to cut 24-hour Search and Rescue cover at Chivenor.
Mr Harvey tabled a number of Parliamentary questions in response to Government plans to privatise the service in 2012 and cut operations at Chivenor from 24 to 12 hours a day.
"I have asked him how many call-outs each SAR station attended over each of the past 10 years, broken down by type of callout and indicating in each case how many were at night time - this will give a better understanding of just how valuable Chivenor's 24 hour cover is," said Mr Harvey.
"I am also demanding to know when he expects to conclude the negotiations and let the contracts for the 'privatised' SAR service from 2012."
You may also want to watch:
Campaigners have warned the cuts could spell the end of lifesaving and timely rescues. There has been a huge surge of support since Mr Harvey and Ilfracombe Town Council launched a campaign calling on people and organisations across the whole West Country to fight the proposals.
Days after the campaign was launched, the Chivenor crew was called out on a night time mission to some of the worst flooding the country has ever seen.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
To add your support to the "Save Chivenor" campaign, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write c/o Pauline Williams, The Ilfracombe Centre, 44 High Street, Ilfracombe, EX34 8AL.
Nick Harvey is also running an online petition against the proposals at www.nickharveymp.com/petitions or visit Keep Chivenor 24 Hours on Facebook.