MP challenges education secretary over Chulmleigh and Ilfracombe school funding cuts
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey has spoken with the Education Secretary Michael Gove to help save funding for schools in Ilfracombe and Chulmleigh. Mr Harvey said he had spoken with Mr Gove following the Government s announcement that future building projects
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey has spoken with the Education Secretary Michael Gove to help save funding for schools in Ilfracombe and Chulmleigh.
Mr Harvey said he had spoken with Mr Gove following the Government's announcement that future building projects at the schools were being dropped following a shake-up of the Building Schools for the Future capital funding programme.
"Michael Gove has personally sought to reassure me that this is not the end of the story," said Mr Harvey.
"In particular, he does not think that the hiatus will be long enough for the effort, which has gone into working up those schemes he has currently put on hold to be lost altogether - architects' fees, planning and so on, will not be wasted.
You may also want to watch:
"Secretary of State was at pains to explain that he had not cancelled the school buildings capital programme for ever, and that the 'financial taps will turn on again' when circumstances allow.
"In the meantime he says he is determined to create a better delivery mechanism than those which have been responsible for delivering BSF.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
"Accordingly the top priority in a new scheme will be the schools whose buildings are in the most physical need. He has not lost sight of the fact that he visited Chulmleigh and deplored the state of the buildings.