MP calls ‘urgent’ meeting to discuss future of hospital
Rumours of threat to Holsworthy community hospital described as ‘wholly unacceptable’.
THE MP for Torridge and West Devon has requested an urgent meeting to discuss plans for the future of Holsworthy’s community hospital.
Geoffrey Cox has written to the chief executive and chairman of the Northern Devon District Healthcare Trust expressing his dismay at rumours of major bed closures.
Mr Cox described talk of a possible threat to the hospital itself as ‘wholly unacceptable to the community and to me.’
He said: “It would be easy to underestimate the important contribution to the health and wellbeing of local people that our community hospitals provide.
You may also want to watch:
“It is not just a case of medical services but the friendly and compassionate care that is extended in community hospitals, particularly to patients at the end of their lives and to their relatives.
“Independent home care while highly laudable is not an option for everyone and in my rural constituency having community hospitals close by means that friends and relatives are able to spend crucial time with their loved ones which might, because of the distances involved, not otherwise be possible at Barnstaple.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 8 World’s Biggest Macmillan Coffee Morning backed by North Devon MP
- 9 Devon Police commissioner commits to tackling gender violence
- 10 A dose of rugby reality for Barnstaple