MP calls ‘urgent’ meeting to discuss future of hospital
Rumours of threat to Holsworthy community hospital described as ‘wholly unacceptable’.
THE MP for Torridge and West Devon has requested an urgent meeting to discuss plans for the future of Holsworthy’s community hospital.
Geoffrey Cox has written to the chief executive and chairman of the Northern Devon District Healthcare Trust expressing his dismay at rumours of major bed closures.
Mr Cox described talk of a possible threat to the hospital itself as ‘wholly unacceptable to the community and to me.’
He said: “It would be easy to underestimate the important contribution to the health and wellbeing of local people that our community hospitals provide.
You may also want to watch:
“It is not just a case of medical services but the friendly and compassionate care that is extended in community hospitals, particularly to patients at the end of their lives and to their relatives.
“Independent home care while highly laudable is not an option for everyone and in my rural constituency having community hospitals close by means that friends and relatives are able to spend crucial time with their loved ones which might, because of the distances involved, not otherwise be possible at Barnstaple.”
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 9 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
- 10 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford