MP calls for action to help Devon dairy farmers
- Credit: Archant
Geoffrey Cox MP says he will do all he can ‘to keep dairy farming in the region’.
TORRIDGE and West Devon MP Geoffrey Cox has called for action to help dairy farmers secure their future.
Following a meeting with farmers and agricultural industry representatives at Holsworthy, Mr Cox urged the Government and industry body DairyCo to ‘create a more consistent and sustainable market place’.
He has tabled parliamentary questions urging the Government to do more to support and promote the export of Devon dairy produce.
“My aim is to work with these local dairy farmers to help them make a profit from farming and create a sustainable long-term footing,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I will do all in my power to defend the industry, improve the current situation, and keep dairy farming in the region.”
Concerns raised during the meeting focused on the price reductions faced by many, which are imposed on them by the milk processors and supermarkets.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
Also discussed were the large numbers of dairy farmers who have given up or gone out of business in the last few years, with many family farms being sold.
Many more were said to be struggling to run successful businesses, and as a result are resorting to selling young stock or going into ancillary businesses to make ends meet.
Following discussions, three key areas of action were identified — promoting and developing the UK’s export market for dairy produce, expanding and making more effective the support provided to farmers by DairyCo, and working closely with the Government to enable farmers to secure a greater share in the profits on the sale of milk and dairy products.