Motorists warned of lengthy A377 closure
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Traffic diverted via South Molton due to repairs to storm-damaged embankments.
MOTORISTS are being warned that a seven-mile stretch of the A377 will be closed for at least a month.
A 16-mile diversion is in place via South Molton because of repairs to an embankment along a 100m section of the road at Kingford Bridge.
The road is closed between Umberleigh and Kings Nympton Station and is likely to remain so until the end of October.
Devon County Council contractors are building a new retaining wall along part of an embankment damaged during the winter storms.
You may also want to watch:
A county council spokesperson told the Gazette the road would reopen ‘by October’ although the council’s own website estimates it could take as long as October 29.
“The river banks have suffered from significant erosion and slip caused by the winter storm damage,” said the spokesperson.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
“This resulted in the carriageway being placed under traffic light control to keep vehicles away from the dangerous embankment edge.
“The slip has been deteriorating further and the work currently being undertaken is to construct a new retaining wall along the damaged length of embankment to prevent further damage this winter.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused to motorists, however it is necessary for the road to be closed to allow the construction works to be undertaken safely.”
A diversion route in place via Kings Nympton, George Nympton, South Molton, Barnstaple Road, the road from Filleigh Bridge to Aller Cross, the road from Stags Head to Kingsland Barton, Nadder Lane, Umberleigh and vice-versa.