Motocross championships cancelled by weather
THE WET weather has forced Torridge and DMCC to cancel the MX323 British Championship and the Premier Motocross Championship events which were due to take place at their Waggadon Farm Circuit at Torrington in North Devon this weekend. After a visit to t
THE WET weather has forced Torridge and DMCC to cancel the MX323 British Championship and the Premier Motocross Championship events which were due to take place at their Waggadon Farm Circuit at Torrington in North Devon this weekend.
After a visit to the circuit yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon and with weather forecasts predicting more rain over the weekend, club officials decided cancellation would be the only option.
They felt that running the event would not be fair on the riders and spectators and would only spoil what could have been a super weekend. They said that the circuit seemed to cope with the rain, but the car park field had been the worst hit and that the landowner, local residents and the roads leading to and from the circuit also needed to be considered.
"This is a bitter blow to the club, which has put in so much effort over the winter and the past few weeks to ensure that the weekend was one to look forward to. With so many riders entered it was set to be a cracker!" said club vice chairman Mark Osborne.
You may also want to watch:
The MX323 round will not be re-run due to the calendar already being full with other events. The Premier round will possibly be re-run later in the year, but this is to be decided.
The Torridge club insists this will not dampen their spirits and they intend to run other top class events later in the year.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody