Morrisons look to open Barnstaple supermarket
Firm steps up its interest in opening second North Devon store
MORRISONS are looking at opening a new supermarket in Barnstaple, the North Devon Gazette has learned.
The company, which recently extended its Bideford store, said it was examining a number of possible sites in the Barnstaple area although the Gazette understands that the firm is focusing its attention on a site in Pottington, close to the downstream bridge.
On Thursday, representatives from Morrisions met with a number of key agencies and organisations including North Devon Council and Barnstaple Town Council to discuss potential plans.
The company is expected to hold a number of public consultation sessions before submitting a planning application for a new store and petrol station in the New Year.
You may also want to watch:
Planning officer Keith Bines told the Gazette: “Pre-application discussions are being held in respect of the provision of a Morrisons supermarket in Barnstaple.
“A planning application is not anticipated until February 2011 following a period of consultation with the wider community by the developers.”
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 9 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
- 10 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
A Morrisons spokesperson said: “We are always interested in bringing Morrisons’ range of fresh food and excellent service to new areas and are considering a number of sites in the Barnstaple area.”