More than 400 will run first North Devon marathon
THE first marathon to be held in North Devon in more than 20 years is already full up! More than 400 entrants have signed up to take part in the North Devon AONB Marathon on Sunday, June 27. A field of athletes including fell-runners and multiple-marathon
THE first marathon to be held in North Devon in more than 20 years is already full up!
More than 400 entrants have signed up to take part in the North Devon AONB Marathon on Sunday, June 27.
A field of athletes including fell-runners and multiple-marathon runners from the UK and abroad will compete full and half-marathon courses centred around Woolacombe and Croyde.
Races' organiser Simon Oliver said: "I am thrilled that the race has received so much interest. A few months ago this was just an idea in my head and I never imagined that we could attract over 400 runners.
You may also want to watch:
"We have runners coming from as far afield as the USA, South Africa and Tanzania, so it is fair to say there will be a strong international showing at the event.
"It's just a shame that we can't take more because people are contacting me every day. However, after this overwhelming response we will definitely do it again next year so people will get another opportunity to take part."
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 9 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
The marathon will raise funds for North Devon Hospice and the charity is looking for companies which would like to get on board and sponsor trophies for the various running categories.
Ali Hunt, head of fund-raising, said: "We would love to hear from any company that would like to be associated with this clearly popular event.
"If we can attract sponsorship for the trophies then even more money will go towards North Devon Hospice, which is the ultimate goal. If you or your company would like to be involved then please give me a call on (01271) 347206, I'd be delighted to hear from you.