‘More talks’ plea over Tesco car park deal
Sell land to the highest bidder, says South Molton councillor.
A SOUTH Molton councillor is calling for “urgent” talks to take place over a proposed new supermarket in the town.
Independent town and district councillor John Moore is urging North Devon Council to consult residents, farmers and the South Molton Business Association as negotiations between the council and Tesco over land in the Central Car Park area continue.
Cllr Moore also called for the council to seek a new valuation of the land it owns at to then auction it to the highest bidder.
This should include the land currently home to the cattle market and should be done before any deal is made with the supermarket firm, he said.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “From the rate-payers’ point of view, they should be getting the best return on the land.
“There is more than one supermarket interested in that land and it needs to be properly valued and auctioned to the highest bidder.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 8 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 9 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty
- 10 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
“Nobody knows what that land is really worth until somebody pays for it,” he added.