‘More talks’ plea over Tesco car park deal
Sell land to the highest bidder, says South Molton councillor.
A SOUTH Molton councillor is calling for “urgent” talks to take place over a proposed new supermarket in the town.
Independent town and district councillor John Moore is urging North Devon Council to consult residents, farmers and the South Molton Business Association as negotiations between the council and Tesco over land in the Central Car Park area continue.
Cllr Moore also called for the council to seek a new valuation of the land it owns at to then auction it to the highest bidder.
This should include the land currently home to the cattle market and should be done before any deal is made with the supermarket firm, he said.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “From the rate-payers’ point of view, they should be getting the best return on the land.
“There is more than one supermarket interested in that land and it needs to be properly valued and auctioned to the highest bidder.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 4 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 7 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 8 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
“Nobody knows what that land is really worth until somebody pays for it,” he added.