More events at Appledore Regatta
APPLEDORE Regatta Week starts with the main event on Sunday, August 7, from 10.30am onwards.
Rowing entries of 20 are well down on last year’s record of 39, but the regatta committee has tried to compensate by boosting the other water events.
The unique walking the greasy pole is joined by boat tug-of-war and a flour battle. For the first time in many years sculling over the stern is being brought back, open to all throughout regatta day, with competitors timed against the clock.
Appledore lifeboats will be alongside the quay and there will be stalls and exhibitions on the quayside.
The week continues with an art show in St Marys Church on Sunday and Monday, a pilot gig race to the bar bouy and back on the Tuesday, an outboard motor race on Wednesday and a salmon boat race on Thursday – open to all and boats supplied.
You may also want to watch:
Friday brings the world crabbing championships at 5pm and at 12 noon on the Saturday there is model yacht racing across the estuary, with boats available for children.
There is also an all-day fishing competition on the Saturday and on the evening of August 14 comes a traditional gaffers and luggers sailing boat race.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 4 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 5 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
Monday 15th brings gig boat sprint races at 6pm.
If any one wants to have a stall to raise funds or needs further information, contact Peter Reveley on (01237) 470500.