More construction chaos feared for Ilfracombe
- Credit: Archant
Shocked council told the Environment Agency plans a second bout of sea defence work at the harbour from next week – after already announcing Cheyne car park will close during the busiest part of the season.
THE Environment Agency plans to carry out more repair work at Ilfracombe harbour during the busy summer season, North Devon Council has said.
The council has been told today (Monday) by the Environment Agency it intends to carry out repairs to the sea wall along Quay Road and around to the slipway, starting on Monday (August 4).
This is in addition to a notice served last week, when the agency announced plans to close Cheyne Beach car park next week for flood defence works to be carried out.
The council’s chief executive, Mike Mansell, said major construction work was already taking place in the harbour until September.
You may also want to watch:
“If these proposed works have any impact on the remaining moorings along the face of the quay road, the harbour facility will be severely compromised and we must urge the EA to revisit the timing of these works,” he said.
The Environment Agency has indicated to the council it will aim to complete repairs by September 15.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
The council said although it was fully supportive of the work, the timing was inappropriate and it would continue to press for a mid-September start date.