More cash benefits for over 60s with change in law
PEOPLE in North Devon and Torridge who are over 60-years-old could be entitled to more benefit, following a recent change in the law. Capital of up to �10,000 will now no longer be taken into consideration when calculating housing benefit and council tax
PEOPLE in North Devon and Torridge who are over 60-years-old could be entitled to more benefit, following a recent change in the law.
Capital of up to �10,000 will now no longer be taken into consideration when calculating housing benefit and council tax benefit for those over 60, compared to a previous level of �6,000.
The law change, which was brought in on Monday, could also mean families see a rise in their entitlements. This is because child benefit will no longer be taken into account when calculating council tax benefit and housing benefit.
Claims have already been recalculated for existing customers, with letters sent to those who affected by the change.
You may also want to watch:
If customers were not previously entitled to these benefits, it may mean that they do now qualify.
For more information or to request a claim form, customers in North Devon can phone (01271) 388360 and in Torridge the number is (01237) 428700.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes