More can learn to be Saunton lifesavers
MORE youngsters at Saunton Life Saving Club wanting to learn the basics of surf lifesaving can take to the water thanks to a �1,000 gift from Southern Electric Contracting. Club members aged between seven and 13 have regular training sessions at the beach
MORE youngsters at Saunton Life Saving Club wanting to learn the basics of surf lifesaving can take to the water thanks to a �1,000 gift from Southern Electric Contracting.
Club members aged between seven and 13 have regular training sessions at the beach, learning how to save lives and taking part in competitions. But like any other club or organisation, they need to raise money for essential equipment.
Duncan Sargeant, from Barnstaple, has been involved with the club for six years and is helping to raise money as well as encouraging his own family to participate.
His daytime job is a team manager for Southern Electric Contracting's Devon Lighting Services, so he decided to apply to the company for a grant - and was delighted when he learned he had been successful.
You may also want to watch:
Southern Electric Contracting has given �1,000 under its Into Action scheme, which gives grants to staff who have either raised a lot of money or volunteered significant amounts of time to a community organisation or charity.
"Learning these skills is such an important thing for youngsters to do, but it all costs money, so I was really pleased to receive the good news that we'd got the grant," said Duncan.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
"This money will be enough to buy another batch of "Nipper" life saver surf boards. But even these junior sized boards are expensive at around �250 each.
"A donation like this makes a big difference to this club, which has a lot of very keen youngsters all wanting to take part. In our club alone we took 75 youngsters to the national championships at Falmouth this year, where they finished second overall, and there are probably between 200- 300 members altogether."
Southern Electric Contracting provides street lighting services throughout Devon, working out of offices in Mallard Road, Exeter.