More blood donors needed in North Devon
AN appeal has gone out for more blood donors in North Devon. New and regular donors are being invited to attend two sessions next week – at St George s School in Jacket Lane, Northam, on Monday and at Grosvenor Church, Old Station Road, Barnstaple, on We
AN appeal has gone out for more blood donors in North Devon.
New and regular donors are being invited to attend two sessions next week - at St George's School in Jacket Lane, Northam, on Monday and at Grosvenor Church, Old Station Road, Barnstaple, on Wednesday.
Anyone aged over 17, weighing more than 50kg (7 stone 12 lbs) and in general good health could potentially start saving lives by becoming a blood donor.
Juliet Williams, spokesperson for the NHS Blood and Transplant service, said: "We are so grateful to our regular donors who give up their time to save lives.
You may also want to watch:
"We always need new donors to attend blood donor sessions to ensure that blood stocks are kept up and to replace those donors who may have to retire through ill-health.
"This is a chance to make a real difference and help to maintain supplies to hospitals in order that life-saving surgery and treatments can be carried out.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
"However, at the moment only four per cent of those who are eligible to give blood actually do.
"If you've ever wanted to be a donor and live in Northam or Barnstaple, now is the time to act."
To book an appointment, call the Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk