Money found to keep beaches clean
NORTH Devon Council s Executive has found money to keep beaches clean and tidy, despite withdrawing funding in February. . At an Executive meeting today (Wednesday) members agreed to reinstate the grants of �1,800 to Instow Parish Council and �1,500 to
NORTH Devon Council's Executive has found money to keep beaches clean and tidy, despite withdrawing funding in February.
At an Executive meeting today (Wednesday) members agreed to reinstate the grants of �1,800 to Instow Parish Council and �1,500 to Combe Martin Parish Council for another year to clean the publicly owned beaches in their area.
Leader of North Devon Council, Councillor Des Brailey, said: "Grants made to the parish councils had to be stopped when the budget that funded them was removed in February. Since then I have received many requests for continued financial support for another year.
You may also want to watch:
"The beaches across North Devon are an asset to the area so keeping them clean and tidy is really important. This extra year's support will provide the parish councils with more time to prepare to take on this role and continue this work in the future."
The grants have been provided by the Executive Contingency Reserve, which helps out with financial planning in the short term when other budgets have been removed. The council has provided grant funding to help with the cost of cleaning beaches in North Devon for many years.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course