Missing sex offender sparks police appeal
The police are appealing for help tracing a missing sex offender thought to be travelling the UK
Police are appealing for information leading to the whereabouts of a missing sex offender from the Dover area.
John Archer Barnett, 62, (also known as John Owen) was last seen by his landlord on April 14, 2012 at an address in Dover, Kent. He is now believed to be travelling around the UK.
Devon and Cornwall police say Barnett is a registered sex offender who was convicted in 2003 for an indecent assault on an eight year old boy. He was jailed for four years.
A Devon and Cornwall police spokesperson said: “Barnett is considered to pose a risk to children and may befriend a family in order to offend.”
You may also want to watch:
Police enquiries have shown he has visited areas of London, Blackpool, Brighton, Scarborough, Dartford and Bournemouth - officers are unsure where he is now.
“Officers involved in the management of Barnett became concerned that he was becoming too close to a family with children. After Social Services intervention he left the area,” the force spokesperson added.
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 3 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 4 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 5 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 10 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
The police have described Barnett as a white male, about 5ft 8in tall with a ‘beer belly’ and has grey receding hair and a beard. He has eagle tattoos on both arms and may be wearing a hearing aid. He is a smoker and drinks whisky. He also has an eczema type skin condition which is visible on both forearms and hands. A few years ago he suffered a stroke and one side of his face droops very slightly.
Officers said he may also have shaved his head and shaved his beard off to disguise his appearance.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Sergeant Ren Johnson or Jodie Strickett on 01227 868049, or Kent Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.