'Millionaire' cash is put to good use
A �12,000 donation from Channel 4 s Secret Millionaire is to help fund an ambitious campaign to tackle homelessness across North Devon. Barnstaple Poverty Action Group (BPAG) will use the money given by property developer Kevin Green to recruit and trai
A �12,000 donation from Channel 4's "Secret Millionaire" is to help fund an ambitious campaign to tackle homelessness across North Devon.
Barnstaple Poverty Action Group (BPAG) will use the money given by property developer Kevin Green to recruit and train volunteers at a series of events starting this week.
In the television programme screened last month, Mr Green handed over �69,000 of his personal fortune to a number of local charities after spending nine days under cover in Barnstaple.
Tomorrow (Thursday), BPAG, in conjunction with North Devon Voluntary Services (NDVS) will hold the first in a series of Volunteer Recruitment Days at South Molton Pannier Market, from 9am to 2pm.
You may also want to watch:
It will be followed by similar events in Barnstaple's Green Lanes Shopping Centre from 10am to 2pm on November 5, and at Ilfracombe's Lantern Centre, from 10am to 2pm on November 24.
BPAG wants to find volunteers who can commit to a minimum of four hours per week to work in various projects including rural outreach, youth homelessness and intensive tenancy support services. For more information call (01271) 371499.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 9 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
- 10 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing