Military Wives Choir wow Sainsbury’s Barnstaple crowd
Picture special: People gathered in their hundreds to hear the now famous local choir perform and buy signed copies of their charity single.
THE Sainsbury’s store in Barnstaple was packed this afternoon (Thursday) as crowds gathered to hear the Chivenor Military Wives Choir and buy a copy of their charity single.
Around 30 of the hugely popular choir turned out to sign copies of Wherever You Are, recorded with Gareth Malone following their success on BBC Two series The Choir: Military Wives.
The queue to purchase the CD snaked off amongst the aisles of the Sainsbury’s clothing department and despite receiving a consignment of 1,500 CDs earlier today, the store was forced to limit sales to one per customer.
After performing their song - now seen as almost a dead cert for the Christmas number one and with massive odds in favour of 1/100 being given by bookmakers – the choir also sang We Wish You a Merry Christmas.
Proceeds from sales will go to the Royal British Legion plus military charity SSAFA – and there was more good news this week when the Chancellor announced an equivalent amount to the VAT portion of sales would also go to charity.
Click on the gallery to the top right of this story too see more pictures of the choir’s visit to Sainsbury’s.
- 1 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 2 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 3 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 4 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 5 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 6 War hero, SWW champion and author Tony dies at 97
- 7 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 8 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 9 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 10 ‘What a Beautiful Noise' takes to Queens stage