Military Wives Choir wow Sainsbury’s Barnstaple crowd
Picture special: People gathered in their hundreds to hear the now famous local choir perform and buy signed copies of their charity single.
THE Sainsbury’s store in Barnstaple was packed this afternoon (Thursday) as crowds gathered to hear the Chivenor Military Wives Choir and buy a copy of their charity single.
Around 30 of the hugely popular choir turned out to sign copies of Wherever You Are, recorded with Gareth Malone following their success on BBC Two series The Choir: Military Wives.
The queue to purchase the CD snaked off amongst the aisles of the Sainsbury’s clothing department and despite receiving a consignment of 1,500 CDs earlier today, the store was forced to limit sales to one per customer.
After performing their song - now seen as almost a dead cert for the Christmas number one and with massive odds in favour of 1/100 being given by bookmakers – the choir also sang We Wish You a Merry Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
Proceeds from sales will go to the Royal British Legion plus military charity SSAFA – and there was more good news this week when the Chancellor announced an equivalent amount to the VAT portion of sales would also go to charity.
Click on the gallery to the top right of this story too see more pictures of the choir’s visit to Sainsbury’s.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash