Military Wives Choir success for charities
Ladies from North Devon and Plymouth raise more than �500,000 through the success of their platinum single.
THE huge success of the Military Wives Choir Christmas number one has seen more than half a million pounds donated to forces charities.
Choir members from RMB Chivenor and Plymouth were joined by Gareth Malone in London on Monday to present a cheque for �503,985 to The Royal British Legion and SSAFA Forces Help.
The money was raised exclusively through sales of their record-breaking Christmas single Wherever You Are, written by Paul Mealor, which has now gone platinum and sold a total of 684,474 copies.
On Monday the choir also announced they would be releasing a follow-up album through Decca Records in time for Mother’s Day.
You may also want to watch:
In My Dreams is named after a new Paul Mealor song and the album will also include the hit single Wherever You Are plus Bob Dylan’s ballad Make You Feel My Love, more recently covered by Adele.
They will be joined on the album by some of the 11 choirs which have sprung up in the wake of their success. For each album sold at full price in the UK, a donation of �1 will be made to a charitable foundation to help set up and support military wives choirs.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
The choir has even won a BRIT Awards nomination for Best British Single, which sees them competing against female stars, Adele and Jessie J.