Military display at Barnstaple museum
A collection of military objects dating from World War II right up to the present day will be on display at the Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon on Saturday, November 7 from 1pm. The collection includes paperwork, kit and weapons which will be displ
A collection of military objects dating from World War II right up to the present day will be on display at the Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon on Saturday, November 7 from 1pm.
The collection includes paperwork, kit and weapons which will be displayed for visitors to have a look at.
There's also the chance to step outside and look around the 'dig for victory' garden, home to a real Anderson shelter, a common sight in peoples' gardens used to protect them during the air raids in World War II.
Councillor Dick Jones, Lead Member for Community and Leisure, said: " This is a great opportunity for local residents to enjoy a visit to the museum and see how military equipment has developed over the years. For younger visitors it's a chance to learn about our history, understand what it was like during World War II and appreciate how lucky we are today."
You may also want to watch:
The free event is part of a programme called Their Past, Your Future, managed by the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council and funded by the Big Lottery Fund. The aim is to inspire people of all ages to discover the impact of conflict over the last 100 years, and understand why it is relevant now and for the future.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 3 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 4 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 5 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 6 Covid delays Barnstaple councillor's trial again
- 7 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 8 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 9 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 10 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling