Military aircraft artist bids to boost memorial garden appeal
- Credit: Archant
Helicopter print to be auctioned in aid of RMB Chivenor campaign.
A BARNSTAPLE artist is auctioning a signed print to raise money for the RMB Chivenor Memorial Garden.
Tony Byrne, a veteran of the Army Air Corps, has painted pictures of military aircraft for a number of years and has offered to help boost the appeal with a print taken from his painting of the Sea King Mk 4 Helicopter, ZA298.
Part of the Royal Navy’s Commando Helicopter Force, known as the ‘Junglies’, the helicopter is affectionately known as the ‘King of the Junglies’.
Tony said: “This particular helicopter has taken part in every conflict that Britain has been involved in since the Sea King came into service, and during that time it has been shot down three times.
You may also want to watch:
“It is no surprise that they call it King of the Junglies, it just keeps getting back up.”
The special print has been signed by the aircrew of 845 Squadron currently serving with the aircraft and is now available to view at Brewer, Harding and Rowe Solicitors in Barnstaple.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
It will also be displayed in Atlantic Village on November 16.
Bidders are invited to make sealed bids and the presentation to the winning bidder will take place at the Veterans’ Art Show at Petroc on February 3.