Merry men take on the pebbles for the Chemo Appeal
- Credit: Archant
Cancer survivor John Ziepke and friends walk the shoreline from Clovelly to Westward Ho!
BIDEFORD’S John Ziepke and his band of merry men walked their way from Clovelly to the Pier House at Westward Ho! along the scenic Atlantic Ocean beach in aid of the Chemotherapy Appeal.
Double cancer survivor John knows all too well the need for a new unit in the region and this is his latest bid to support the appeal after shaving off his hair and beard earlier this year.
John’s wife Malinda said: “John and his friends were determined to walk the route over the pebbles, a distance of 10-and-a-half miles.
They set off early at 7 am from Clovelly’s top car park and arrived in Westward Ho! in time for a late lunch after six-and-a-half hours.
You may also want to watch:
“Walking over the pebbles wasn’t easy but they managed it with only one sprained ankle and quite severe leg strain but the injured pair didn’t give up.
“The weather was fantastic and at the end of it they were still all smiling.”
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 9 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
Appeal fund raising officer Julie Whitton added: “John and Malinda are fantastic supporters appeal. Earlier in the year John shaved off his hair and beard, and in total he has now raised more than £2,000.”