Merry men take on the pebbles for the Chemo Appeal
- Credit: Archant
Cancer survivor John Ziepke and friends walk the shoreline from Clovelly to Westward Ho!
BIDEFORD’S John Ziepke and his band of merry men walked their way from Clovelly to the Pier House at Westward Ho! along the scenic Atlantic Ocean beach in aid of the Chemotherapy Appeal.
Double cancer survivor John knows all too well the need for a new unit in the region and this is his latest bid to support the appeal after shaving off his hair and beard earlier this year.
John’s wife Malinda said: “John and his friends were determined to walk the route over the pebbles, a distance of 10-and-a-half miles.
They set off early at 7 am from Clovelly’s top car park and arrived in Westward Ho! in time for a late lunch after six-and-a-half hours.
“Walking over the pebbles wasn’t easy but they managed it with only one sprained ankle and quite severe leg strain but the injured pair didn’t give up.
“The weather was fantastic and at the end of it they were still all smiling.”
- 1 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 2 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 3 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 4 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 5 Stylish Victorian property offers many period features
- 6 Help turn tide with Appledore community film
- 7 Queen's Theatre panto audiences raise £3,200 for local charities
- 8 How can we celebrate Queen's Platinum?
- 9 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 10 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
Appeal fund raising officer Julie Whitton added: “John and Malinda are fantastic supporters appeal. Earlier in the year John shaved off his hair and beard, and in total he has now raised more than £2,000.”