Merlin stars at Bideford Water Festival
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Sunday) for Bideford Water Festival organised by the town s Rotary Club. Highlights included a demonstration by the search and rescue helicopter from RAF Chivenor and young contestants trying to beat the
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Sunday) for Bideford Water Festival organised by the town's Rotary Club.
Highlights included a demonstration by the search and rescue helicopter from RAF Chivenor and young contestants trying to beat the greasy pole extended over the River Torridge.
But the undoubted star of the day was Britain's Got Talent finalist Merlin, although his stunt didn't go quite according to plan.
He was suspended upside down by a rope over the river strapped into a straitjacket. The idea was to set the rope on fire and escape from the straitjacket before it burned through.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately, despite strenuous efforts, it proved impossible to set the rope alight. Nevertheless, Merlin escaped from the straitjacket to take his applause.
Heavy showers interspersed the afternoon, send the crowds hurrying for shelter. But the many stalls and sideshows did a roaring trade.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety