Merlin stars at Bideford Water Festival
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Sunday) for Bideford Water Festival organised by the town s Rotary Club. Highlights included a demonstration by the search and rescue helicopter from RAF Chivenor and young contestants trying to beat the
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Sunday) for Bideford Water Festival organised by the town's Rotary Club.
Highlights included a demonstration by the search and rescue helicopter from RAF Chivenor and young contestants trying to beat the greasy pole extended over the River Torridge.
But the undoubted star of the day was Britain's Got Talent finalist Merlin, although his stunt didn't go quite according to plan.
He was suspended upside down by a rope over the river strapped into a straitjacket. The idea was to set the rope on fire and escape from the straitjacket before it burned through.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately, despite strenuous efforts, it proved impossible to set the rope alight. Nevertheless, Merlin escaped from the straitjacket to take his applause.
Heavy showers interspersed the afternoon, send the crowds hurrying for shelter. But the many stalls and sideshows did a roaring trade.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 9 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon