Merlin stars at Bideford Water Festival
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Sunday) for Bideford Water Festival organised by the town s Rotary Club. Highlights included a demonstration by the search and rescue helicopter from RAF Chivenor and young contestants trying to beat the
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Sunday) for Bideford Water Festival organised by the town's Rotary Club.
Highlights included a demonstration by the search and rescue helicopter from RAF Chivenor and young contestants trying to beat the greasy pole extended over the River Torridge.
But the undoubted star of the day was Britain's Got Talent finalist Merlin, although his stunt didn't go quite according to plan.
He was suspended upside down by a rope over the river strapped into a straitjacket. The idea was to set the rope on fire and escape from the straitjacket before it burned through.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately, despite strenuous efforts, it proved impossible to set the rope alight. Nevertheless, Merlin escaped from the straitjacket to take his applause.
Heavy showers interspersed the afternoon, send the crowds hurrying for shelter. But the many stalls and sideshows did a roaring trade.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 4 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 5 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections