Merlin is a record breaker
North Devon escapologist and entertainer Merlin Cadogan has been declared a double world record breaker in the latest Guinness Book of Records.
The official entry is accompanied by a picture of Merlin, who is particularly well-known for his daredevil stunts and for his appearance on Britain’s Got Talent.
Two framed certificates on the wall at The Milky Way visitor attraction near Clovelly, where Merlin regularly performs, testify to him being the holder of the world records for unpicking the most handcuffs in one minute and for the longest duration of juggling three objects while under water.
His handcuffs record – a total of six - was achieved last year on the ITV Magic Numbers show and his underwater juggling, which he maintained for 1 minute and 20 seconds, was performed in front of cameras at Potters Field near London Bridge as part of the Guinness World Records Day.
Merlin told the Gazette that when he first tried to pick a set of police handcuffs it took him eight hours to do one, but perserverance eventually paid off.
You may also want to watch:
When performing his under water juggling last November, he first had to break the ice on the water, so was indebted to local firm Tiki for providing a wetsuit, he said.
To be included in the Guinness Book of Records was the achievement of a long held dream, said Merlin. It all went back to his childhood, when his grandfather, former Bideford doctor Fred Shaw, used to give him a copy of the book every Christmas.
- 1 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 2 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 3 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 4 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 7 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
Merlin will be carrying out book signings for the Guinness Book of Records and entertaining at WH Smith in Barnstaple from 11am-12.30pm on October 1.