Merlin is a record breaker
North Devon escapologist and entertainer Merlin Cadogan has been declared a double world record breaker in the latest Guinness Book of Records.
The official entry is accompanied by a picture of Merlin, who is particularly well-known for his daredevil stunts and for his appearance on Britain’s Got Talent.
Two framed certificates on the wall at The Milky Way visitor attraction near Clovelly, where Merlin regularly performs, testify to him being the holder of the world records for unpicking the most handcuffs in one minute and for the longest duration of juggling three objects while under water.
His handcuffs record – a total of six - was achieved last year on the ITV Magic Numbers show and his underwater juggling, which he maintained for 1 minute and 20 seconds, was performed in front of cameras at Potters Field near London Bridge as part of the Guinness World Records Day.
Merlin told the Gazette that when he first tried to pick a set of police handcuffs it took him eight hours to do one, but perserverance eventually paid off.
You may also want to watch:
When performing his under water juggling last November, he first had to break the ice on the water, so was indebted to local firm Tiki for providing a wetsuit, he said.
To be included in the Guinness Book of Records was the achievement of a long held dream, said Merlin. It all went back to his childhood, when his grandfather, former Bideford doctor Fred Shaw, used to give him a copy of the book every Christmas.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
Merlin will be carrying out book signings for the Guinness Book of Records and entertaining at WH Smith in Barnstaple from 11am-12.30pm on October 1.