Memorabilia of famous Torrington elections on show
MEMORABILIA from the 1950s and 60s Torrington General Elections will be on show this Saturday at The Plough. The pamphlets and election addresses include those from the famous Torrington by-election in 1958 when Mark Bonham-Carter s victory sparked the
MEMORABILIA from the 1950s and 60s Torrington General Elections will be on show this Saturday at The Plough.
The pamphlets and election addresses include those from the famous Torrington by-election in 1958 when Mark Bonham-Carter's victory sparked the post-war Liberal revival.
Other notable candidates in the early 1960s include Ambrose Fulford, Percy Browne, Sir Peter Mills and Dr David Owen.
The display is part of an event to meet current Liberal Democrat Prospective MP for Torridge and West Devon, Adam Symons, who will be speaking at The Plough from 11am until 1pm.
He said: We have a wonderful treasure chest of old General Election leaflets, calling cards, letters and pamphlets. It is fascinating to see what people were campaigning about over 50 years ago. Top of the agenda again were concerns about the economy, inflation and the price of staples."
Adam is using the event to meet people and set out the principles of the Liberal Democrats' campaign.
- 1 PICTURES: Bideford Christmas lights switched on in style
- 2 Property of the Week: Daddon Close, Bideford
- 3 Litter around North Devon schools and colleges is a 'disgrace'
- 4 North Devon’s Panto sells 10,000 Cinderella tickets
- 5 An exciting new era for marine futures in northern Devon
- 6 Bideford beat top side Truro in challenging conditions
- 7 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 8 New Castle Hill Work Hub launched to support businesses in Torrington
- 9 South West businesses fear HMRC clamp down
- 10 Hospices’ Light Up a Life appeal will support families in grief