Memorabilia of famous Torrington elections on show
MEMORABILIA from the 1950s and 60s Torrington General Elections will be on show this Saturday at The Plough. The pamphlets and election addresses include those from the famous Torrington by-election in 1958 when Mark Bonham-Carter s victory sparked the
MEMORABILIA from the 1950s and 60s Torrington General Elections will be on show this Saturday at The Plough.
The pamphlets and election addresses include those from the famous Torrington by-election in 1958 when Mark Bonham-Carter's victory sparked the post-war Liberal revival.
Other notable candidates in the early 1960s include Ambrose Fulford, Percy Browne, Sir Peter Mills and Dr David Owen.
The display is part of an event to meet current Liberal Democrat Prospective MP for Torridge and West Devon, Adam Symons, who will be speaking at The Plough from 11am until 1pm.
You may also want to watch:
He said: We have a wonderful treasure chest of old General Election leaflets, calling cards, letters and pamphlets. It is fascinating to see what people were campaigning about over 50 years ago. Top of the agenda again were concerns about the economy, inflation and the price of staples."
Adam is using the event to meet people and set out the principles of the Liberal Democrats' campaign.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 4 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 5 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections