Memorabilia of famous Torrington elections on show
MEMORABILIA from the 1950s and 60s Torrington General Elections will be on show this Saturday at The Plough. The pamphlets and election addresses include those from the famous Torrington by-election in 1958 when Mark Bonham-Carter s victory sparked the
MEMORABILIA from the 1950s and 60s Torrington General Elections will be on show this Saturday at The Plough.
The pamphlets and election addresses include those from the famous Torrington by-election in 1958 when Mark Bonham-Carter's victory sparked the post-war Liberal revival.
Other notable candidates in the early 1960s include Ambrose Fulford, Percy Browne, Sir Peter Mills and Dr David Owen.
The display is part of an event to meet current Liberal Democrat Prospective MP for Torridge and West Devon, Adam Symons, who will be speaking at The Plough from 11am until 1pm.
You may also want to watch:
He said: We have a wonderful treasure chest of old General Election leaflets, calling cards, letters and pamphlets. It is fascinating to see what people were campaigning about over 50 years ago. Top of the agenda again were concerns about the economy, inflation and the price of staples."
Adam is using the event to meet people and set out the principles of the Liberal Democrats' campaign.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 3 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 4 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 5 Covid delays Barnstaple councillor's trial again
- 6 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 7 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 8 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 9 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon