Memorabilia of famous Torrington elections on show
MEMORABILIA from the 1950s and 60s Torrington General Elections will be on show this Saturday at The Plough. The pamphlets and election addresses include those from the famous Torrington by-election in 1958 when Mark Bonham-Carter s victory sparked the
MEMORABILIA from the 1950s and 60s Torrington General Elections will be on show this Saturday at The Plough.
The pamphlets and election addresses include those from the famous Torrington by-election in 1958 when Mark Bonham-Carter's victory sparked the post-war Liberal revival.
Other notable candidates in the early 1960s include Ambrose Fulford, Percy Browne, Sir Peter Mills and Dr David Owen.
The display is part of an event to meet current Liberal Democrat Prospective MP for Torridge and West Devon, Adam Symons, who will be speaking at The Plough from 11am until 1pm.
You may also want to watch:
He said: We have a wonderful treasure chest of old General Election leaflets, calling cards, letters and pamphlets. It is fascinating to see what people were campaigning about over 50 years ago. Top of the agenda again were concerns about the economy, inflation and the price of staples."
Adam is using the event to meet people and set out the principles of the Liberal Democrats' campaign.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386