Meet Torridge's 'Green Arrows'
BIN men and women from Torridge District Council s waste management team pushed their wheelie bins from Torrington to Bideford on Saturday in the name of charity. Fourteen walkers, organised by Peter Catton from Torrington s waste management team, were se
BIN men and women from Torridge District Council's waste management team pushed their wheelie bins from Torrington to Bideford on Saturday in the name of charity.
Fourteen walkers, organised by Peter Catton from Torrington's waste management team, were set off in Torrington Square by council chairman Cllr Margaret Brown and Head of Operational Services Ricky McCormack, and pushed their bins along the Tarka Trail to the council's Riverbank House Offices in Bideford.
Their sponsored walk raised cash for the children's cancer charity, CLIC Sargent.
Peter had the idea of doing something to help CLIC Sargent three months ago and has since then been organising and planning the event.
You may also want to watch:
"Those taking part are workers from the Torrington depot and the Westcombe depot in Bideford," he said. "Everyone who has heard about the project has been fantastic in helping out, sponsoring us and offering support. It's been great to have so many council staff, councillors, local shopkeepers and members of the public come on board."
Mrs Brown said: "I'm so happy to lend my support to Peter and the rest of the waste management team in such a good cause. The council is backing them all they way!
- 1 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 2 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 3 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 4 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 5 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 6 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 7 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 8 Barnstaple flood prevention scheme at least two years away
- 9 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice