Meet Torridge's 'Green Arrows'
BIN men and women from Torridge District Council s waste management team pushed their wheelie bins from Torrington to Bideford on Saturday in the name of charity. Fourteen walkers, organised by Peter Catton from Torrington s waste management team, were se
BIN men and women from Torridge District Council's waste management team pushed their wheelie bins from Torrington to Bideford on Saturday in the name of charity.
Fourteen walkers, organised by Peter Catton from Torrington's waste management team, were set off in Torrington Square by council chairman Cllr Margaret Brown and Head of Operational Services Ricky McCormack, and pushed their bins along the Tarka Trail to the council's Riverbank House Offices in Bideford.
Their sponsored walk raised cash for the children's cancer charity, CLIC Sargent.
Peter had the idea of doing something to help CLIC Sargent three months ago and has since then been organising and planning the event.
You may also want to watch:
"Those taking part are workers from the Torrington depot and the Westcombe depot in Bideford," he said. "Everyone who has heard about the project has been fantastic in helping out, sponsoring us and offering support. It's been great to have so many council staff, councillors, local shopkeepers and members of the public come on board."
Mrs Brown said: "I'm so happy to lend my support to Peter and the rest of the waste management team in such a good cause. The council is backing them all they way!
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?