Meet Torridge's 'Green Arrows'
BIN men and women from Torridge District Council s waste management team pushed their wheelie bins from Torrington to Bideford on Saturday in the name of charity. Fourteen walkers, organised by Peter Catton from Torrington s waste management team, were se
BIN men and women from Torridge District Council's waste management team pushed their wheelie bins from Torrington to Bideford on Saturday in the name of charity.
Fourteen walkers, organised by Peter Catton from Torrington's waste management team, were set off in Torrington Square by council chairman Cllr Margaret Brown and Head of Operational Services Ricky McCormack, and pushed their bins along the Tarka Trail to the council's Riverbank House Offices in Bideford.
Their sponsored walk raised cash for the children's cancer charity, CLIC Sargent.
Peter had the idea of doing something to help CLIC Sargent three months ago and has since then been organising and planning the event.
"Those taking part are workers from the Torrington depot and the Westcombe depot in Bideford," he said. "Everyone who has heard about the project has been fantastic in helping out, sponsoring us and offering support. It's been great to have so many council staff, councillors, local shopkeepers and members of the public come on board."
Mrs Brown said: "I'm so happy to lend my support to Peter and the rest of the waste management team in such a good cause. The council is backing them all they way!
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 4 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 7 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 8 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas
- 9 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 10 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden