Mayor offers reward to catch Bideford tree vandals
THE Mayor of Bideford is offering a reward for information leading to the prosecution of vandals who have damaged and destroyed trees in the town s local nature reserve. Cllr Andy Powell is furious at the wilful destruction of trees in Ford Woodland on th
THE Mayor of Bideford is offering a reward for information leading to the prosecution of vandals who have damaged and destroyed trees in the town's local nature reserve.
Cllr Andy Powell is furious at the wilful destruction of trees in Ford Woodland on the Torrington entrance to the town. The woodland has been taken over by the town council and with the help of a local working group, the Northern Devon Coast and Countryside Service And Devon Wildlife, is being developed as a green open space and public amenity.
But vandals have been at work, cutting down saplings and hacking at larger trees
"To state that I feel positively evil towards the idiots who did this would be putting it mildly," said Mr Powell.
You may also want to watch:
"The largest tree damaged has had to be cut down as it was left in such a dangerous state that it was in imminent danger of collapse and would readily have killed anyone within range, had it done so.The damage has only recently been discovered, but there have been one or two reports of people seen acting suspiciously in the woodland a few days ago. I have no hesitation in saying the town council will seek a prosecution against those found guilty of this heinous crime and I personally offer a reward for information leading to that result.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 6 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 7 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
- 8 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 9 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 10 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved