Mayor of Bideford to serve second year
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor and Deputy Mayor were voted in by councillors last night (Thurs).
THE MAYOR of Bideford will serve a second term after being re-elected by Bideford town councillors last night (Thurs).
Councillor Simon Inch was voted in unanimously by councillors who chose to suspend standing orders and not carry out the traditional, secret vote.
He was put forward for the role by Councillor Mervyn Langmead, who said: “I propose Simon Inch doing another 12 months because the last 12 months he has been in office have been excellent.”
Councillor David Fulford was also re-elected as deputy mayor with a majority of eight votes.
You may also want to watch:
But Councillor Tony Inch also put forward Cllr Langmead as a candidate, saying he was a ‘very well respected councillor’ in the town.
This proposal was seconded by Councillor Phil Pester, but in the vote councillors swung in favour of Cllr Fulford.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
Both councillors thanked everyone for their support.
“Of course, I will do my utmost to carry on the good work in our town,” said Cllr Inch.
Cllr Fulford added: “Thank you very much; I will support the mayor as much as I can.”
The Mayor’s Parade and church service will be held on Sunday, May 26 from 9.40am. The parade will leave from the Pill and follow the road along the Quay.
The Mayor and Mayoress will be on the dias opposite the Rose of Torridge to take the salute. This will be followed by a service at St Mary’s Church.
The Mayor’s Introduction will be held on Thursday, May 30, at 7pm in Bideford Town Hall.