May is Devon's Naturally Healthy Month
- Credit: DCC
This May people across Devon are being urged to head and out and enjoy the spring sunshine.
Devon’s Naturally Healthy May campaign is all about harnessing the power of nature and physical activity to improve our health and wellbeing. It’s a fantastic time to head outside and enjoy some fresh air.
It’s all part of Devon’s Naturally Healthy initiative, led by Active Devon and Devon County Council on behalf of the Devon Local Nature Partnership (DLNP).
It brings together a wide range of partners from health, wellbeing, community and environment sectors to encourage Devonians to be happier and healthier through increased connection to nature.
The pandemic has had a huge impact on all our lives, from children and young people to families and adults of all ages. Looking after our physical and mental health is more important than ever and there is clear evidence that being in a natural environment and connecting actively to nature is good for us.
You may also want to watch:
James Szymankiewicz, North Devon GP and member of the DLNP said: “Simply being in the natural environment is clinically proven to improve your health and wellbeing.”
“It is not a pill or potion but consider connecting with nature as a prescription. One that works and costs nothing. It is so easy to do, just take that step outside to start with.”
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 5 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 6 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 7 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 8 Little Leo’s big challenge for Children’s Hospice South West
- 9 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 10 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
“The most important thing is you enjoy it. Think of it as an opportunity to invest a bit of time in looking after yourself, your family and this place we call home.”
Throughout May the Devon Local Nature Partnership will be sharing information about being Naturally Healthy and encouraging individuals to get outside safely for a walk, a cycle, some gardening, wild swimming, bird watching or other activity. Partner organisations will be organising Covid 19 safe events and activities.
Active Devon will also be hosting a Naturally Healthy Photo Competition throughout May, open to people of all ages living in Devon.