Mass scramble for Tesco jobs
New Barnstaple store overwhelmed by applications
THE new Tesco Extra store in Barnstaple has received more than 1,200 applications for 190 jobs, six applications for every vacancy.
The supermarket will open on the former Brian Ford Discount Store on Seven Brethren Bank at 8am on Monday, February 7. All 110 Brian Ford staff accepted jobs at the new Tesco store and will begin working there when the store opens.
Tesco said it had worked closely with the Jobcentre Plus to ensure that local residents could apply for vacancies at the new store. A number of jobs went to Barnstaple residents who had been unemployed for six months or longer. The store will employ 400 people in total, including 100 Tesco staff members who have been transferred from other sites. Following the successful recruitment programme, store manager, Steve Pugh, said: “I was overwhelmed by the incredible response to our recruitment drive. We were delighted when the former Brian Ford staff accepted the positions we offered them; it’s great that we are able to secure their jobs and create new ones for the local community.
“All new recruits are currently finishing a series of training programmes to get them ready for the store’s opening. We are currently preparing for the launch of the new store and look forward to playing an active role in the local community.”
You may also want to watch:
After the launch day the store will open at 6am on Mondays and will remain open 24 hours until midnight on Saturdays, and will be open from 10am to 4pm on Sundays.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 4 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 8 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising