Masonic cheques for cadets
ARMY, Air and Sea Cadets gathered at the Masonic Hall in Bideford to receive charity cheques from the local Lodge.
Worshipful Master Brian Martin presented cheques for �400 each to the three Bideford cadet units.
They were received by Lt Peter Hooper of the Bideford Detachment ACF, Lieut Tony Ross of Bideford Sea Cadets and Sqdrn Ldr Chris Haywood, Area Commander ATC, on behalf of the Bideford Flight.
Brother Terry Leggett, who organised the evening, said that each year the Lodge contributed to local causes and this year they were supporting the town’s youth.
Through their memberships of these organisations the young people learned respect and discipline and they were a real credit to the town, he said.
You may also want to watch:
The Sea Cadets had to find their own funding and while the Army and Air Cadets received some funding from the MoD, there was the prospect that they could be affected by Government cutbacks. Without a home of their own, the Army Cadets were currently sharing the Sea Cadets’ premises, said Bro Leggett.
Support for the cadets was also appropriate as the Bideford Lodge of Benevolence was founded more than 150 years ago as a military lodge, attached to the then Devon Yeomanry.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 5 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 8 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 10 New Trek Fest gives walkers a reward for their hike