Marines’ Barnstaple charity bid
Royal Marines and supporters outside Sainsbury’s at Roundswell all this week as they bid to run 1,664 miles for charity.
SQUADRONS of Royal Marines past and present plus supporters have set camp outside the Barnstaple Sainsbury’s store today (Monday) to run 1,664 miles for charity.
Treadmills at the Roundswell store entrance will be running 12 hours a day until Sunday after the North Devon branch of the Royal Marines Association teamed up with Commando Logistic Regiment at RMB Chivenor.
Each day squadrons from the regiment will be joined by RMA members as they bid to run or walk the distance between all Royal Marine Bases around mainland UK.
It is part of the annual RMA Support Appeal collecting for the Royal Marines Charitable Trust Fund.
You may also want to watch:
Last year a week of cycling outside the store raised more than �11,000 and it is hoped shoppers will prove just as generous this time.
On Monday morning the Marines were started on their way by Lord John Burnett, himself a former RM officer and Armed Forces Minister plus North Devon MP Nick Harvey.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
“Serving and former Royal Marines are immensely grateful to the North Devon public for the fantastic and continuing support they have always shown,” said Lord Burnett.
Lieutenant Colonel Simon Fuller, second in command at RMB Chivenor, added: “The RMA does a tremendous amount to support the Royal Marines and marines charities, so we are delighted to be able to offer our assistance to them in this fantastic fund raising activity.”