Margaret is still stepping at 90
SPRIGHTLY Braunton pensioner Margaret Robson has reached the age of 90 with a spring in her step – thanks to line dancing.
Margaret, who celebrates her ninth decade on Sunday, never misses her twice weekly SMJ Western Dance class at the village Scout Hut, which has attended since the tender age of 74!
On Wednesday her classmates and teacher Sandra Johns took time out from their two hour lesson to present Margaret with surprise birthday flowers, gifts and to enjoy a birthday lunch with champagne.
The Western dance craze that has swept the world in recent years might seem an unlikely source for the fountain of youth, but Margaret is convinced:
“It’s fantastic,” she said, “it keeps you young and I would recommend it to anybody.
You may also want to watch:
“It helps your brain too, because you have to think of all the steps and of course there’s the exercise.
“Everyone here is friendly and we always have a laugh – I feel so happy when I am here, as you can relax and forget all your worries.”
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 6 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 7 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 10 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
Sandra, who takes the Braunton class on Mondays and Wednesdays, as well as another two Monday classes at Swimbridge, agrees.
“Margaret is absolutely brilliant and I wish everyone would take note of that, because as she says, line dancing is what has kept her fit all these years,” she said.
“She always has a smile for everybody and bakes cakes when it’s their birthday. She’s a wonderful inspiration.”